Saturday, July 5, 2014

Clean Eating {Asian Inspired} Lettuce Wraps


Since we started our adventure with clean eating (or *semi* clean eating as I'm calling it), I've been trying to think of recipes to make that are delicious and considered clean. I'm not the most adventurous chef but I think I've been doing pretty good! Mr. Hunky has seemed impressed and the meals have tasted really good, so I'm not ashamed to pat myself on the back.


One type of food that I have always loved is Chinese food, but Mr. Hunky has never been a fan. The first and last time we ate it together was this past Mother's Day when his new (pregnant) wife batted her eye lashes and after I promised myself it would be the last time unless we found a real high quality Chinese restaurant to dine at - the one we ate was pretty gross. 


I still get cravings for Chinese though, so I've started making my own at home and both Mr. Hunky and I love it. I've dappled in making sweet and sour chicken, fried rice, and now this tasty Asian Inspired Lettuce Wraps!

This recipe is ridiculously easy to make and is perfect for hot summer nights, quick lunches, and even just a tasty snack! Careful though, it can be a little messy so make sure to eat it over a plate!

What You Need:

For the Sauce:
Sauce recipe adapted from The Gracious Pantry

- 2 Teaspoons of Raw Honey
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Cup of Chicken Stock

For the Wraps: 

- 1 Head of Iceberg or Romaine Lettuce
- Shredded Carrots (I used an ultra fine cheese grater to grate up about 8 baby carrots) 
- 2 Chicken Breasts cooked and chopped into small chunks (I cooked mine in a skillet with a little olive oil, garlic powder, and onion powder)
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce (Optional)



Assembly is really quite simple! Wash your lettuce, break each leaf off of the head and lay on your plate. Pat dry with paper towels. I had a bit of trouble with mine ripping but they still worked just as well. In a small bowl, stir together the contents of your sauce mix thoroughly with a small whisk or a fork. Pour over the top of the cooked/cubed chicken and use a fork or spoon to carefully mix the sauce with all of the chicken. Top the lettuce with about two (2) spoonfuls of chicken and 3-4 pinches of your shredded carrots (I literally used my finger tips to pinch the carrots onto the wrap!). Drizzle* with Low Sodium Soy Sauce to taste then roll your lettuce wraps or fold like a taco!


*In the recipe from where I adapted the sauce, it calls to put the soy sauce directly in it however I chose not to due to Mr. Hunky not feeling that Low Sodium Soy Sauce is clean enough. Please use your judgement as to what you choose to do - I love soy sauce and had no problem drizzling it all over my own wraps but Mr. Hunky enjoyed his as is! 

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being a reader of Mommy's Obsessions! We love to hear your feedback and enjoy reading your comments! We do take the time to read though the comments so if you have any questions feel free to ask and we will try to get back to you in a timely matter!

Mommy's Obsessions does not tolerate spam comments and they will be deleted immediately.