Monday, April 21, 2014

3 Ingredient Homemade Weed Killer Recipe



In my opinion, one of the worst household chores (by far) is dealing with weeds. Living in Arizona it seems that our weeds can go from nonexistent to out of control in a span of 24 hours, especially during the monsoon season. After we bought our house we quickly learned that for whatever reason, we have "monster weeds" as I call them because traditional store bought weed killers such as Round Up, don't seem to affect them. At all. Seriously!


One afternoon I came home and saw my neighbors outside spraying their weeds with a mixture that looked green. Once I got out of my car I was overtaken with the smell of vinegar and I knew I had to go ask what they were up to. Within minutes I had the recipe to liquid gold; a 3 ingredient weed killer that actually worked. 

It did take me a couple of days before I made it to the store for my main ingredient; a boatload of vinegar, but once I had everything in hand it literally took me less than 5 minutes to put together the concoction and get to killin'. Weeds that is! 

You may be skeptical, but seriously, I dare you to try this recipe and see how it works for you because it really did work for me, and well!

What You Need: 

Gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup of Salt
1 Cup of Dish Soap (I used Dawn because that's what the neighbors recommended)
Spray Bottle



To start your mixture, pour some of the apple cider vinegar into your spray bottle as is, allowing yourself more room in the gallon jug for your other ingredients. Slowly pour in your cup of salt, close the cap to the gallon jug, and give it a few tilts to distribute the salt. Next, reopen the jug and pour in your dawn dish soap. To make my life a little easier I actually just did a quick conversion to see how many fluid ounces I actually needed and eyeballed pouring the soap in. Once your soap is in, close the cap to the jug and give it another couple of tilts followed by a shake or two. You may then pour in the remaining amount of apple cider vinegar and shake again. *Note, you will not be able to fit all of the apple cider vinegar back into the jug - it's okay, I promise* 


Once the mixture is ready to go, pour it into your spray bottle and get to killin' those weeds!


First I experimented on a small section of weeds to see how it would do. I sprayed evenly across the whole weed and came back 10 minutes to check and see if there was any difference. 


Imagine my surprise when the weeds had already started to brown and "crisp" up! {Insert Happy Dance Here}.


Good luck! Let me know how this recipe works for you!!!


1 comment:

  1. This seems like such a better alternative to using store bought weed killers! I'll have to be careful to only get weeds though as I don't know how it will affect the surrounding grass, but I will definitely have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being a reader of Mommy's Obsessions! We love to hear your feedback and enjoy reading your comments! We do take the time to read though the comments so if you have any questions feel free to ask and we will try to get back to you in a timely matter!

Mommy's Obsessions does not tolerate spam comments and they will be deleted immediately.