Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Homemade Hand Lotion DIY

Hi Everyone! It's Rebecca! I have mentioned before that my family has been making changes with regard to our eating habits.  Well, we have also made changes regarding what goes ON our bodies as well.  With all the information out there about the chemicals that are in lotions and bodywashes and how quickly these are absorbed in to our bodies, I decided to start making lotions.   Making lotion has also saved us money.  I was the Queen of beauty products, but that stuff can get expensive! So, I did some research, found some recipes online and got in the kitchen!

This recipe is adapted from Wellness Mama's home made lotion recipe and is fabulous! I just love the Wellness Mama site.  She has so much information!

Here is the recipe that I use.

Home Made Lotion Recipe:

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup of coconut oil
1/4 beeswax pastilles
2 Tablespoons of Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter or Mango Butter
Essential Oils- Peppermint, Sweet Orange, Eucalyptus, Vanilla Extract etc.

I put all ingredients except the oils in to a glass jar.  I use a pickle jar.



Place the jar in a pot of water.  Make sure that the water does not go over the top of the jar.  I fill my pot so the water is about halfway up the jar.  Then turn the heat on and heat up the water.  This will slowly melt the oils.  I pick up the jar and swirl the mixture to ensure even heating.  Once it is all melted, I remove the jar from the pot, add the essential oils (about 10 -15 drops) then pour the lotion into another smaller jar.  You want to use a jar that is short, but that will hold the lotion.  A jar with a wide mouth is good so you can reach in for the lotion. Then let it set up.


I do not let the water ever boil.  Remember, this glass jar can get super hot!  I usually use a pot holder to grip the jar when swirling.




Then let it firm up!



This lotion does have a low melting point.  It needs to be kept in a cooler location.  It is also best used within 6 months.  You can add Vitamin E capsules (just break them open and squeeze the Vitamin E into the other oils) this will add a longer shelf life to the lotion.  

Just scoop out some lotion, it will melt from your touch and use it all over!  

I hope you enjoyed this!









*Mommys Craft Obsession and guest blogger Rebecca do not assume responsibility with the use of this recipe. All skin types are different, please use at your own risk.


Love this blog? 
Vote for us daily so we can continue to bring you great giveaways!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!


7 comments:

  1. I love Olive Oil so I know I would love this. It sounds really easy too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super easy! And it is a non greasy feeling to the lotion as well!
      I hope you make this and enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Im def have to try this! It looks sooo easy and I already have most of the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to try this for my sweet husband to use on his very dry skin, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE lotions and potions and would have never even thought I could make anything like this at home. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I didn't even know you could homemaker lotion with these simple ingredients! Awesome! I'm totally gonna try it! Thanks for the info! I love lotion so I buy a lot of it, now I can do it cheaper! Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would make a fantastic Christmas gift for my sister. She has severe allergies to a lot of lotions, I think this would work for her. I'm going to make some this week! Thanks for the recipe, it looks easy to do too, bonus!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being a reader of Mommy's Obsessions! We love to hear your feedback and enjoy reading your comments! We do take the time to read though the comments so if you have any questions feel free to ask and we will try to get back to you in a timely matter!

Mommy's Obsessions does not tolerate spam comments and they will be deleted immediately.